Packet integrity error. (34)

douglas.manton at uk.ibm.com douglas.manton at uk.ibm.com
Tue Feb 20 01:13:51 EST 2001

Hi,

I am using Van Dyke SecureCRT 3.2.1 to access an AIX server running
OpenSSH-2.5.0p1.  Using ssh1 with X11 forwarding enabled, the server
reports the following error (in the client session):

    Packet integrity error. (34)

This problem was not evident in 2.3.0p1.  Running sshd in debug gives the
output:

debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_2.5.1p1
debug1: load_private_key_autodetect: type 0 RSA1
debug1: read SSH2 private key done: name dsa w/o comment success 1
debug1: load_private_key_autodetect: type 2 DSA
debug1: Seeded RNG with 38 bytes from programs
debug1: Seeded RNG with 3 bytes from system calls
debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
debug1: Seeded RNG with 38 bytes from programs
debug1: Seeded RNG with 3 bytes from system calls
RSA key generation complete.
debug1: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from 10.141.33.180 port 1522
debug1: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version 1.0
debug1: no match: 1.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.5.1p1
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port not trusted.
debug1: Sent 768 bit server key and 1024 bit host key.
debug1: Encryption type: blowfish
debug1: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug1: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug1: Attempting authentication for someuser.
Accepted rsa for someuser from 10.141.33.180 port 1522
debug1: Trying to reverse map address 10.141.33.180.
debug1: session_new: init
debug1: session_new: session 0
packet_set_maxsize: setting to 4096
debug1: Allocating pty.
debug1: Ignoring unsupported tty mode opcode 13 (0xd)
debug1: Received request for X11 forwarding with auth spoofing.
Packet integrity error (46 != 42) at session.c:358
Disconnecting: Packet integrity error. (34)
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x2000175c(0x2000aee0)
debug1: pty_cleanup_proc: /dev/pts/7
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x200016c0(0x0)
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x2000139c(0x0)
debug1: writing PRNG seed to file /root/.ssh/prng_seed

If this is a client issue, then please let me know and I will chase Van
Dyke for a resolution.  Disabling X11 forwarding and/or moving to ssh2
fixes the problem.

Many thanks,
  Doug Manton, AT&T EMEA Commercial Security Solutions

                    demanton at att.com
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy"