"Junk data left to incoming packet buffer after all data processed"

Markus Friedl Markus.Friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Feb 20 03:23:49 EST 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 05:05:56PM +0100, Phil Pennock wrote:
> [ After looking over the openssh.com website, this seems to be the list
>   to use, including for OpenBSD users?  I've subscribed. ]
>
> I'm using OpenSSH_2.5.0 as currently found in OpenBSD's OPENBSD_2_8 CVS
> branch.  I'm now finding a strange error when I try to su, _within_ the
> connection.  The client side is _not_ OpenSSH.

OpenSSH-2.5.1 has just been released because OpenSSH-2.5.0
triggered a bug in ssh-1.2.18 up to ssh-1.2.22.

> The client is running protocol 1.5, and is derived from the SSH.com
> product.

what version is it derived from?
how does it announce itself?
what does sshd -d -d -d print if this client connects?

> Can anyone please say authoritatively if this is a client bug, or if the
> server is sending back bogus data?  If there's any extra diagnostic
> information needed, let me know how and I'll be happy to co-operate.

it's a client bug.

> I'm looking towards migrating a number of service machines towards an
> OpenSSH based system; having problems with the currently deployed client
> will be a major hindrance.

i can help you fixing the clients or adding bugcompat to openssh,
but i need 'sshd -d -d -d' for this.

if you want to fix the client look at the diffs between ssh-1.2.22 and ssh-1.2.23
for the file packet.c and the SSH_MSG_IGNORE handling.

-markus