_PATH_STDPATH and @bindir@

Michael Han mikehan at mikehan.com
Tue Feb 20 13:10:49 EST 2001

Sorry if this is stuff that's been talked about before. If it is, just
ignore me.

I'm curious to know why Portable OpenSSH doesn't include @bindir@ in
the _PATH_STDPATH. This would save most installers of portable OpenSSH
from having to --with-default-path=$PREFIX/bin in order to ensure that
scp will work properly. This would also, I imagine, save quite a lot
of hassle for developers/helpful-folks on the mailing list regarding
FAQ 3.7. I could suggest a patch to do this, but figure you all know a
better way than I'd suggest.

Actually, might it not be better to have the server path be a run-time
configurable option, rather than a build-time option? Anyway, at the
very least, it'd be nice if the default installation weren't broken.
--
mikehan at mikehan.com                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California