OpenSSH-2.5.1p1 scp hangs when scping into an RH (6.0|7.0) box

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Thu Feb 22 05:48:25 EST 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Jim Breton wrote:

> OK I am running into another problem now as well (see the earlier posts
> to this thread so see some of the systems involved).
>
> In addition to the aforementioned issues, I also cannot do this:
>
> ssh hostname "cat > filename" < filename

I can't replicate this on Redhat 7.0.  What is the actual error
message? (if any) and a ssh -v -v -v may help also.

> which is what I had been using as a work-around to the broken scp in
> OpenSSH-2.3.0.  This now also seems broken in 2.5.1 in some cases.

Which?  scp? or the above cat?  scp should work fine since we reverted out
of an attempt to fix a Linux select() issue.

> In addition to the RH/Debian systems involved in my first post, I have
> this problem going from my Debian potato machine to a Debian potato
> machine (owned by someone else, on a remote network, running OpenSSL
> 0.9.6 compiled from source).  Testing locally on my lan does not seem to
> be an issue, so I began to wonder whether it involved compression (I
> enable it by default, but disable it when connecting to machines on my
> lan).  However I just tried it with and without compression on the lan,
> as well as remotely, and it didn't seem to make any difference.
>
> I have a question if someone doesn't mind answering: does scp do exactly
> the same thing as piping a file over ssh's stdin would do?  In other
> words, is it just a front-end to setting up stdin/stdout on an ssh
> process?

They should (in theory) be roughtly the same.

> Hate to sound like an idiot luser and wish I could provide something
> more useful than "it works in scenario X but not in scenario Y" but it
> just doesn't make any sense to me either.

scp -v -v -v  or ssh -v -v -v are useful for seeing what occurs.  We need
more information.

As stated before there is a linux bug on select() with no current patch
(but there is a work around.. I'd have to look it up since it did not make
it into the FAQ.)

But the work around is:

   While browsing through bash's hugh manpage, I noticed that it has a
   'huponexit' option which will send SIGHUP to all interactive processes
   when the shell exits.

   I have tested this and it does resolve the hanging at logout without
   causing race conditions. I now have a "shopt -s huponexit" in my
   /etc/bashrc and it works beautifully.

(Who do I submit this to so it gets into the FAQ on the openssh.com site?
This problem is going to be around for a while. =)

thanks

- Ben