OpenSSH 2.5.1p1 on HP-UX: No CTRL+C possible!!!

Garrick James garrick at james.net
Thu Feb 22 05:05:41 EST 2001

I can't help but notice this sounds just like the problem I have on my
Solaris 2.6 boxen.  If you search the list archives from several months ago,
you can find the work around I posted.

Basicly it all boiled down to the state of CTRL-C at the time sshd was
launched.  Go to the console of the machine in question (if you can), stop
sshd and start sshd _INTERACTIVELY_ (do not use a cron job, at job, or
anything else that is not interactive).  Then ssh into the box and see if
the CTRL-C works.  If it does, you have the same problem we have on Solaris
2.6.  Sshd seems to remeber the state of CTRL-C funcitonality at the time of
startup and propigates that to all ssh sessions (even though stty reports
otherwise).  Stopping sshd and starting it from an at job or cron job when
upgrading will give you a daemon that has no CTRL-C functionality (interupt
key does not exist in the non-interactive shells of at and cron).

-Garrick