SSH connection hangs with ipchains/RH6.2/OpenSSH 2.5.1p1 (butnot <= 2.3.0p1)

Troy Carter tcarter at princeton.edu
Thu Feb 22 14:53:10 EST 2001

I figured this out -- looks like 2.5.1p1 is now using ports < 1024 on
the client side (wasn't before?).  I had a ipchains rule to allow ACK
packets to 1024:65535, which was good enough for <= 2.3.0p1 :

#allow only ACK tcp packed
ipchains -A input -j ACCEPT -i eth0 -s any/0 --dport 1024:65535 -p tcp !
-y

So I added the following :

#allow return from ssh connections
ipchains -A input -j ACCEPT -i eth0 -s any/0 22 -p tcp ! -y

Now everything is fine.  I even see the config file option to switch
back to using non-priveleged ports.  What was the reason for switching
to priveleged by default in 2.5.1p1?

-Troy

--
Troy Carter