sftp-server and chown

Andy Polyakov appro at fy.chalmers.se
Thu Feb 22 21:32:57 EST 2001

> I have a lot of quarms with how ssh.com designed their sftp client in
> windows.  It's broken and horrible.

But people want to and do use it anyway.

> And I don't feel we should remove a
> feature because a company can't figure out how to write a correct sftp
> client.  Catering to broken software is never a valid solution.

Examine sftp-client.c and note 'a.flags &= ~SSH2_FILEXFER_ATTR_UIDGID;'
which basically does what I suggest and acknowledges the standpoint. The
catch is that it's done in wrong place and that it should be done on
server side, not client. The fact that it guards against broken clients
is a side effect, not goal.

Andy.