openssh-2.5.1p1 on AIX

Chuck chuck at fiu.edu
Sat Feb 24 04:08:12 EST 2001

Hi!

I've built openssh-2.5.1p1 on an AIX 4.3.3 box, and attempted to use the
public/private key authentication mechanism.

This appears to work for a non-root user locally, but not for the root user.

I have generated the identity (key) files and copied the .pub files to the
authorized_keys files in /.ssh

It appears that when I allow password authentication (the default) I can log
in after giving the password, but when I turn it off (PasswordAuthentication
no), I receive a "permission denied" message.

Again, this seems to be unique to root as I can connect locally with no
problem as an ordinary user.

I apologize if this is a known issue, or if I've (as usual) forgotten
something simple.

P.S. - Things seem to work OK on Red Hat 7.0