scp hardwires location to ssh?

Jon Nathan jon at rupture.net
Wed Feb 28 06:39:07 EST 2001

hello,

i'm building a solaris package of openssh 2.5.1 for my employer.  my
configure string is this:

./configure --prefix=/usr/share/jon
--with-xauth=/usr/openwin/bin/xauth --with-ipv4-default
--with-tcp-wrappers --with-pid-dir=/etc --sysconfdir=/etc

i use a prefix of /usr/share/jon , then build the system V package
from there.  most things work great, but somehow scp does not.  it
seems have the location of ssh hardwired into it.

root at barf:~# which scp
/usr/local/bin/scp
root at barf:~# strings `which scp` | grep ssh
/usr/share/jon/bin/ssh
usage: scp [-pqrvC46] [-S ssh] [-P port] [-c cipher] [-i identity] f1
f2; or:
root at barf:~#
root at barf:~# scp jon at example.com:~/file .
/usr/share/jon/bin/ssh: No such file or directory
lost connection
root at barf:~#

obviously, /usr/share/jon/bin/ssh only exists on the machine i built
the package on, not the machines i distribute the package to.  what
can be done to get around this?  can the scp binary just refer to
"ssh" and assume it's in the user's path?  or can i do something in
the build process (of ssh, not the package) to make scp think that,
eventually, the real ssh will be at a certain location?

thanks for any ideas,

-jon

--
Jon Nathan