SU vs. ssh root at host

Phillips, John john.phillips at calanais.com
Wed Feb 28 21:09:07 EST 2001

I agree that it is desirable to login as root.

In our environment we have 12 admin's looking after around 750
workstations/servers. Our ideal is to use openssh with keys and the Openssh
patch which identifies which key has been used to login as root. This gives
a degree of security and accountability.

But when somebody leaves/starts then somebody has to go around all the boxes
and add/remove userids or keys, so logging in directly as root is necessary
with password as well unless we get into complex expect scripts etc.

I realize that this may not be the "most secure" method, but I think we need
to trade off risk against operational effectiveness.

John

(John.Phillips at calanais.com) Unix Support, Calanais Ltd