AllowHosts / DenyHosts

Dan Kaminsky dankamin at cisco.com
Wed Feb 28 22:10:00 EST 2001

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 01:55:49AM -0800, Dan Kaminsky wrote:
> > This would let us do such things as allow X forwarding from the one lab
that
> > critically needs it but keep it banned it for everyone else.
>
> this could be implemented with keynote (rfc2704). someone
> needs to add keynote support to openssh.

Hadn't seen Keynote before, but I've seen the disastrous failures of
certificates to take over the IT world in anything *but* web servers.
There's probably something more to Keynote...what makes it worth the
LOC/admin mis-grok level relative to:

Host *
    Reject

Host 129.210.*.*
    Allow
    ReverseMappingCheck no

User Bob
    ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes
    AFSTokenPassing yes

RhostsRSA 5c:06:8c:da:6b:db:e0:f5:6f:3d:0f:a6:32:c0:5d:d0
    Banner /etc/issue.net

etc?  About the best that comes to mind is handling large indexes of key
fingerprints...but there are better ways of doing that too.

Yours Truly,

    Dan Kaminsky, CISSP
    www.doxpara.com