AllowHosts / DenyHosts

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 22:59:32 EST 2001

yuliy at mobiltel.bg said:
> I think it'll be a good to have all the things needed for OpenSSH to
> work - 'out of the box'.  I mean - you get the source, compile it and
> that's enough.

but that makes the task of source maintenance much much harder - much
more of it, more sub-packages to either maintain yourself or track
other people's work.  That means more bugs - or knowing the
thoroughness of the openBSD folks, more opportunities for bugs and a
slowed release schedule as they sort those bugs.

Far better to use a set of well known building blocks.

And since openssh is basically a openBSD package, which is then also
distributed in a portable form, that would actually result in the
sub-packages being integrated by the portability package builders...
which would mean the whole package would further trail the main source.

[and should the package contain a complete libc to cater for the broken
mess that some vendors have shipped in the past]

I think the openssh should concentrate on what they are doing well.  If
someone else wants to build a further package with all the extra source
set added in, fine, but its really a wasted duplication of effort.

	Nigel.