openssh 2.2, fbsd 4.2: incoming data hangs sshd on tty

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Thu Jan 4 02:09:14 EST 2001

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 mike at hyperreal.org wrote:

> Using the Jan 02 snapshot, and after adding the contents of
> contrib/sshd.pam.freebsd to /etc/pam.conf, an out-of-the-box compile of
> OpenSSH seems, upon quickly testing, to have resolved the problems I was
> experiencing with sshd locking up on me.
>
> The litmus test was always a copy/paste into an ssh client on a windows box.
> Didn't matter if I was connected on the LAN or over a relatively slow DSL
> link.
>
> The new daemon seems to be throttling quite a bit. The paste takes a while to
> paint on the screen, whereas before it was lightning-quick, at least until it
> locked up.

How much text are you refering to?  100 lines?  500 lines?  I've not
noticed too much (but I tend to only paste at a max of 80 lines myself).

> Should I be concerned? A zmodem file transfer on a link that tests with bing
> to get ~50 Mbps only got about 800 kbps. Seems a little slow..

zmodem over ssh?  If so remember there is encryption going on.  So the
speed of your connection is limited by the speed the machines you are
using for your client and server.

- Ben