OpenSSH 2.3 on Tru Unix: Problems

Tobias Burnus tobias.burnus at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 4 09:47:43 EST 2001

Hi,

I try to get OpenSSH working on Compaq's Tru64 Unix (alias Digital Unix)
Version 5.1.

It compiles smootly with OpenSSL-0.9.6, but I observer some odd things.

(A) AS SERVER
The authenification via .ssh/known_host doesn't work.
I have the same sshd_config as on FreeBSD (OpenSSH 2.2.0), where it works.

sshd -d -d:
-----------
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
RSA key generation complete.
debug1: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from XXX.XX.XX.XXX port 1019
debug1: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version 1.2.27
debug1: no match: 1.2.27
debug1: Local version string SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
debug1: Sent 768 bit public key and 1024 bit host key.
debug1: Encryption type: 3des
debug1: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug1: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug1: Attempting authentication for tburnus.

This is nice, but I have a .ssh/known_hosts which isn't used. If I connect
with SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0, protocol versions 1.5/2.0. Compiled with
SSL (0x0090581f) from FreeBSD I get the very same result.

(B) AS A CLIENT
Using OpenSSH as a client (default settings, except Authforward and
X11forwarding) I get:

Warning: Permanently added the RSA host key for IP address 'XXX.XX.XX.XXX'
to the list of known hosts.

I don't see this with OpenSSH 2.2 on FreeBSD or with SSH 1.2 on FreeBSD
and OSF1.

Thanks for you help,

Tobias