fatal: PRNG initialisation failed

Joe Warren-Meeks joe at hole-in-the.net
Tue Jan 9 04:58:19 EST 2001

Heya,

I have compiled and installed OpenSSH on a Solaris/Sparc machine and
whenever I try to start any of the ssh programs I get
"fatal: PRNG initialisation failed -- exiting"

Now, I have looked through the mailing lists and have seen some mention
that this indicates it can't open the ssh_prng_cmds file, which
entropy.c also seems to indicate the problem is. However, this snippet
from truss would indicate it opened it fine and started reading it:

open("/usr/local/etc/ssh_prng_cmds", O_RDONLY)  = 3
brk(0x000E6DB8)                                 = 0
brk(0x000E8DB8)                                 = 0
fstat64(3, 0xFFBEECD8)                          = 0
brk(0x000E8DB8)                                 = 0
brk(0x000EADB8)                                 = 0
ioctl(3, TCGETA, 0xFFBEEC64)                    Err#25 ENOTTY
read(3, " #   e n t r o p y   g a".., 8192)     = 1517
read(3, 0x000E79CC, 8192)                       = 0
fstat(-1, 0xFFBEEDE8)                           Err#9 EBADF
fstat(-1, 0xFFBEE1B8)                           Err#9 EBADF

Not sure that those last EBADF from fstat are referring to.. I'm not
that good with truss..

Anyone know what the problem is? Or where I can start looking to solve
it?

Could you reply to me as I'm not on the list..

Cheers guys!

 -- joe.