ssh speed

Rob Hagopian rob at hagopian.net
Wed Jan 10 10:28:10 EST 2001

OK, I've been looking to run ssh2 without encryption to get maximum
throughput but with secure authentication. However, my tests show that the
performance speedup isn't as dramatic as I suspected:

For a 587MB file:
3des-cbc	3:03
arcfour		2:10
none		2:13

ftp		0:57

I checked, compression is off (with it on estimated times were over 5min).

I interpret the above as saying that the cipher does make a difference,
but when using a sufficiently fast cipher there's overhead in the protocol
that becomes the bottleneck. Arcfour didn't max out the CPU, nor the disk
or network I/O, so what could be slowing it down? Thoughts? Suggestions?

								-Rob