contrib/redhat/openssh.spec question

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Jan 11 20:52:15 EST 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Rachit Siamwalla wrote:

> I have a couple of questions regarding openssh.spec and the rpm that
> gets generated from it. I am using 2.3.0p1
>
> 1. Why is openssl a prereq? openssh statically links to openssl during
> build by default (rightfully so, you don't want your security library a
> shared object if possible)

OpenSSL is usually dynamically linked - I don't see why this is a problem
libc is usually dynamically linked too and it is even more critical.

> 2. I don't understand the following line in the spec file during the
> install step (it makes it not build for me):
>
> %{makeinstall} \
> 	sysconfdir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/ssh \
> 	libexecdir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_libexecdir}/openssh \
> 	DESTDIR=/  # Hack to disable key generation

%{makeinstall} is an RPM macro which tries to put things in the right
spot by overriding prefix, etc.

> One thing that might have affected stuff was i changed in the spec from
> %{makeinstall} to "make install". With rpm 3.0.3, i guess doesn't have
> that defined by default (i doubt this affects anything though).

%{makeinstall} != make install. If you want use make install you probably
want to do something like:

make install \
	prefix=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%/usr \
	sysconfdir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_sysconfdir}/ssh \
	libexecdir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_libexecdir}/openssh \
	DESTDIR=/  # Hack to disable key generation

> 3. Why is openssl-devel a BuildPreReq?

The headers are required for compilation.

-d