sleep 20&exit hangs on Linux

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Fri Jan 12 05:02:00 EST 2001

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Wojtek Pilorz wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Let me quote a few lines from TODO file (SNAP-20010109):
>
> - Linux hangs for 20 seconds when you do "sleep 20&exit".  All current
>   solutions break scp or leaves processes hanging around after the ssh
>   connection has ended.  It seems to be linked to two things.  One
>   select() under Linux is not as nice as others, and two the children
>   of the shell are not killed on exiting the shell.
>
> When I connect to sshd (SNAP-20010109), there is indeed a hang.
>
> However, I have verified that when I connect to sshd (openssh-1.2.3
> version) there is no problem here (the client is always SNAP-20010109,
> the destination machine runs both versions of sshd ).
> So, does openssh 1.2.3 has problems with scp or some other problems ?

I don't remember when the hack was put in place.. but 2.3.0p1 is affected
witht he scp issue.. 2.2.0p1 may be.    All current snapshots should have
a perfectly fine working scp.

> It might be intersting that one can use nohup as a workaround:
>
> (nohup sleep 10 &); exit

Now that is interesting.. Because

(sleep 10&); exit hangs for 10 seconds.

At least I have a work around to tell people when they come to #openssh on
efnet.

Still would like to figure out why.

- Ben