Key fingerprint feature request

Jarno Huuskonen jhuuskon at messi.uku.fi
Fri Jan 12 19:09:25 EST 2001

Hi,

Does anyone know what algorithm the commercial ssh-2.3.0 uses to display
the key fingerprints ? On the manual it says the algorithm is
'bubble babble' but I didn't find out how to actually create this
bubble string (I guess I could find out from the sources).

I think that it would be a nice option if OpenSSH could print out
the host keys fingerprint in same format as the commercial ssh. This would
make it so much easier to compare host keys etc. when you (have to) use
both commercial ssh / openssh clients and servers.

>From what I can see it wouldn't be too much work to add new fingerprint
method to key.c:key_fingerprint ... Perhaps the fingerprint style could
be configurable with ssh_config options ?

-Jarno

Jarno Huuskonen - System Administrator   |  Jarno.Huuskonen at uku.fi
University of Kuopio - Computer Centre   |  Work:   +358 17 162822
PO BOX 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland       |  Mobile: +358 40 5388169