Connections automatically timeout?

Gary Shea shea at gtsdesign.com
Thu Jan 18 09:58:46 EST 2001

Tomorrow, Damien Miller (djm at mindrot.org) wrote:
^^^^^^^^ Now that's living on the edge!

> On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Gary Shea wrote:
>
> > Hi --
> >
> > Recently set up OpenSSH on a number of machines that I'd been using
> > ssh2 on (illegally, it turns out... gotta read the small print!).
> > OpenSSH is working great except for one small thing.
> >
> > If I leave an openssh connection untouched for a few hours, it seems to
> > automatically disconnect.  I don't see this behaviour with ssh.com
> > ssh, either v1 or v2.
> >
> > I have Keep-Alive set to 'no' for both openssh and commercial ssh, but
> > can't find any other possibly relevant directives.  Am I missing something
> > obvious?
>
> Is there a router performing NAT or a masquerading firewall between the
> client and the server? These frequently timeout quiescent connections.
>
> -d

There are in fact TWO different masquerading firewalls between the
client and server machines!  However, I'm not convinced that's the
problem.  Here's my logic:  As I mentioned earlier, my commercial ssh2
connections survive indefinitely.  Maybe ssh.com ssh2 doesn't respect
my request to turn KeepAlive's off?  Nope, because when I turn ssh.com
ssh2's KeepAlive's on, I lose my connection with every little network
glitch.  With KeepAlive off, I have seen my connection survive some
fairly nasty network outages.

I will run a few experiments to see if maybe something has changed
since I last played with KeepAlive on ssh.com ssh2.  Wouldn't surprise
me...

Thanks for the ideas!

	Gary