Solaris 2.6 problem

Sherrod, Andrew andrew.sherrod at tfn.com
Tue Jan 23 07:48:01 EST 2001

I was building OpenSSH on a Solaris 2.6 machine and found a small problem
using scp after it was built.

The scp command coming from a remote machine to the OpenSSH machine results
in an error message of "sh: scp: not found". The start-up script for sshd
sets PATH to include /usr/local/bin where scp resides. I also tried adding
an "export PATH" in case that was the problem, but the error persisted.

I also added /usr/local/bin to the PATH in the .login for root. I also did
the same for each individual user.

I could solve the problem by linking /usr/local/bin/scp to /usr/bin/scp, but
this seems a fairly ugly solution.

Do you have any idea why the PATH variable is not picked up sshd (either
from root's PATh or the target user's PATH)?

Thanks for any input.

Andrew Sherrod