Solaris 2.6 problem

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Tue Jan 23 10:41:37 EST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Rachit Siamwalla wrote:

> perhaps ./configure should pick that up automatically for SunOS. So many
> people have asked that question and probably countless more (including
> me) have had the problem and searched the archives for a solution (or
> did the ugly ln -s solution).
>
> I don't know too much about configure or i would submit a patch myself.

Umm... No. <weak smile>

Configure should however should key off of --prefix=  and add in
${PREFIX}/bin to the compiled in path.  That I can see and agree, but
just to blinding assume 'everyone on XX platform installs this application
in /usr/local/bin' is flawed.  Because I know on my solaris box I install
OpenSSH in /opt/ssh because I personally have a massive dislike for
/usr/local/.  After installing 40 added packages to make my users happy I
end up with a mess.

I'd have to look into what this would take.  I think the idea may have
come out before, but no action was taken on it.

- Ben