openssh keys in ldap

Doug E Manton douglas.manton at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jul 17 18:03:58 EST 2001

> If the keys stay encrypted (not counting ssl) until ssh-add decrypts
them (in the
> same manner that it decrypts the private keys off the filesystem). Would
we need to
> trust the LDAP server or transport protocol.  What problems would we
encounter with
> this?

The private key encryption is a fallback position -- the first line of
protection is to keep the key private!  This is the same reason that most
UNIX systems use shadow password files.

If we rely on the key encryption, can we trust our users to select strong
passphrases?  We can't enforce passphrase rules because of the nature of
key generation.  Dictionary attacks demonstrate that users will do
anything in their power to select poor passphrases!

My personal preference is the exact opposite approach.  Stick the private
key onto some kind of smartcard.  The ideal smartcard would run the
SSH-agent itself and never reveal the key to anyone, you just initialise
it with your passphrase before use -- and when you unplug it or a timeout
occurs, it forgets the key and prompts upon next use.

Doug.