Haven't seen answer yet (was newbie man on Solaris question)

packard packard at mail2.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 20 13:54:18 EST 2001

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Gus Mancuso wrote:

I haven't seen the answer to this question (included way below)
yet.
I'm installing it on Solaris 8 and have the same problem -
I can't read the man pages in any format other than 80 column
wrapped text.  The Solaris 8 is pretty generic, with all the
current patches.  OpenSSH version is 2.9p1.
The man pages stored in /usr/local/man/manx are formatted
in something that looks different from the OEM Solaris
man pages, even though the top of the file includes the
commend "nroff".

Regards, Scott

> Hello OpenSSH developers
>
> First, many thanks for producing this app!
>
> I've noticed that the man pages for openssh don't look
> at all like man pages.  My somewhat limited
> troubleshooting skills point towards a problem with
> nroff not expanding the macros embedded in the man
> files.
> When I `man sshd`, I get pure text (No
> bold/underlined, or even recognizable man page
> sections) and "incomplete sentences" (probably a
> result of those same nroff macros not being expanded).
>

> I am using Solaris 7 on Sun Ultra450 and Ultra250
> servers, both of which exhibit the same problem.
> uname -a results for both machines:
>
> SunOS xmnsas03 5.7 Generic_106541-08 sun4u sparc
> SUNW,Ultra-4
>
> I can't find any version info for nroff.. sorry.
>
> attached is  the text I receive from `man sshd`

Which OpenSSH release?  Under the latest 2.9p1 it should autodetect if you
can support 'mdoc' format (what most BSD used), and if it can't it will
convert them to 'man' (SysV style) or step down to 'doc' (preformated).