Failed X11 authentication does the wrong thing

Matthew Vernon matthew at debian.org
Sat Jul 21 22:34:50 EST 2001

Hi,

if I do the following:

ssh -X localhost
su - another_user
xterm

I get:

X connection to ming:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Where what is really wanted was something like:

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0

'tis easy to reproduce the bug, but the debug output that seems
relevant is:
debug1: X11 connection uses different authentication protocol.

I'm not sure I want to go hacking ssh'x X11 forwarding just yet (there
are more easy things to do first), so I thought I'd let you know.

Cheers,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."