forwarded message from mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Jul 24 16:07:14 EST 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
> I still have to ask the same question I did the last time this was brought
> up.. Who in their right mind would have a hostname/FQDN that is over 256
> characters (using OpenBSD's documented limit)?!  That is over 3 lines
> worth of information to type!!!  There are days I wish I would have bought
> a shorter name then 'eviladmin.org' =)

I thought some DNS RFC stated that the maximum length of the hostname was
255 characters...

Some hosts might exceed 64 (the classic:
www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk; not
that I'd name my domain after a name like this :-), which is a prime
reason for often replacing MAXHOSTNAMELEN (often 64) with a higher value,
but having to up 256 is IMO overkill...

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-hurd-request at lists.debian.org