Disabling Password-based auth? (was RE: recent breakins)

Loomis, Rip GILBERT.R.LOOMIS at saic.com
Fri Jun 1 23:46:09 EST 2001

All--

But it's not as simple as forwarding the password-based
authentication.  Regardless of what method was used to
SSH from system one (user's) to system two (SF), the
user then started up *a second* SSH session to go
from two (SF) to three (Apache).  There is no effective
way for any authentication information from the first
session to be passed to the second, in my mind.

Remember that the SF servers had suffered a root
compromise--so any non-password-based authentication
that would allow the user on the SF system to get to
the Apache systems could have been equally compromised.

The correct fix is *not* to disable password-based
authentication, but to ensure that users understand
that SSH is not a silver bullet.  An SSH session should
generally only be initiated from a more secure system
to a less secure system--in my case, the system on my
desk is one that I have personally hardened and that
is closely monitored, so I have no problem using SSH
to go out to my ISP and read mail.  I would think
*very* carefully before using SSH in reverse, since my
ISP's systems are (IMHO) much less secure.

I'm as appalled by what happened to SF and Apache as
anyone else, but I would ask that we work on the
user awareness issue, which I believe is the real
"root" problem (pardon the pun).  For the cases
where someone needs to get from system A to system B
with some basic level of security and doesn't have any
other credentials/authentication available, there really
is no substitute for password-based authentication.

--
Rip Loomis
Brainbench MVP for Internet Security