authorized_keys2 directory idea

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Tue Jun 5 13:24:39 EST 2001

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Rob Hagopian wrote:

> Why even cater to those people? Even the FreeBSD security notices
> specificly mention that ssh v1 has inherent security problems. I don't
> even see why it's turned on by default for a distribution that
> superficially appears so security concious.

Please spare us the pejorative tone.

Security software has to be _usable_ for it to be adopted, by offering
SSH protocol 1 support (which is no longer the default anyway) OpenSSH
has done more to migrate users off the legacy protocol than anyone
else.

If you _really_ want key-per-file, why not write a small tool that
can generate authorized_key{,2} from a key-per-file directory?

-d