SSH connection hanging on logout

Tim Rice tim at multitalents.net
Thu Jun 7 13:52:26 EST 2001

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Markus Friedl wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 05:29:40PM -0500, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
> > > hermione/home/jason-634: date ; ssh localhost 'sleep 20& exit' ; date
> > > Thu May 10 15:01:54 PDT 2001
> > > Thu May 10 15:02:14 PDT 2001
> > >

> > Is this really a valid test?
>
> no
>
> > This hangs for 20 seconds under OpenBSD
> > also, but this is not what we are refering to.  SSH into your FreeBSD box
> > using an interactive shell then do: sleep 20&exit
>
> please, could someone with a system where:
> 	$ ssh -t host
> 	% sleep 1234 &
> 	% exit
> 	$
> hangs with openssh try whether rlogin hangs, too?

Platform		SSH hangs	Rlogin hangs
Solaris 7		Y		N
UnixWare 2.03		Y		N
UnixWare 2.13		Y		N
UnixWare 7.1.0		Y		N
SCO Open Sever 3	Y		N
SCO Open Server 5	Y		N
Redhat 6.2		Y		N
Caldera eServer 2.3	Y		N

Hmm, I've got source to Linux.

> if rlogin does not hang, could you please check the source of rlogin
> and try to figure out how it handles the filedescriptors that connect
> rlogind to the shell. what happes with the filedescriptors after the
> shell dies?

Nothing is jumping out at me. If you'd like to see for yourself,
ftp://ftp.multitalents.net/pub/netkit-rsh-0.10.tgz (~50K)
has rlogin/rlogind source in it.

--
Tim Rice				Multitalents	(707) 887-1469
tim at multitalents.net