HPUX: ssh hangs after shell exit

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Fri Jun 8 08:16:38 EST 2001

While discussing this with an HP employee many moons ago, I was told that:

- If SA_RESTART is in effect, HP-UX will re-start the select system call
(this is perfectly fine POSIX compliant behaviour)

HOWEVER

- if select is restarted, it resets the timeout start time

This is _evil_.  If you get signals more frequently than once per timeout
period, select will _never_ timeout. There is some HP-UX specific
workaround involving extensions to the siginfo structure, if I recall
correctly, but I don't know the specifics.

--
Carson