ssh hangs on remote command execution

Anshul Jaiswal anshul at raplix.com
Fri Jun 15 12:51:26 EST 2001

Hi,

I am using OpenSSH_2.5.2p2 on SunOS 5.8 [sparc] for remote command
execution.

A couple of times I see a bunch of hanging ssh clients even after the
client that invoked ssh dies and the remote process dies.
After doing some investigation I figured that the ssh client still had a
socket open to the remote sshd process and both the processes were hung
on poll().

I'd expect the sshd process to shut itself when it sees that the child
process it spawned to execute the remote command is done.

Is there something wrong with the way ssh is configured or the way I am
using ssh?
I use ssh to invoke commands on remote machines that in turn invoke
commands on remote machines using ssh.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Anshul.