2.9p1 patches

openssh-unix-dev at thewrittenword.com openssh-unix-dev at thewrittenword.com
Sat Jun 23 06:12:06 EST 2001

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 01:06:05PM -0700, Kevin Steves wrote:
> thanks, is it possible to separate each change into an individual patch?

Sure. I'll do this when syncing up our patches against 2.9p2 this
weekend.

> On Sun, 20 May 2001 openssh-unix-dev at thewrittenword.com wrote:
> :1. Add support for files >2GB via Paul Eggert's AC_SYS_LARGEFILE
> :   macro. This macro is now part of autoconf 2.50. Because of this,
> :   "config.h" needs to be included before system headers to get
> :   the appropriate defines for LFS support.
> :     openbsd-compat/sigact.c
> :     configure.in
> :     acinclude.m4
> :2. AIX defines TILDE in <sys/ioctl.h>. Rename to TILDE_CHAR. Feel
> :   free to pick a better name.
> :     openbsd-compat/glob.c
>
> is ioctl.h needed in glob.c?  i don't think so.  what about just
> #undef'ing TILDE after includes.h or leave it and live with a redefinition
> warning?  we try to minimize the diff with the openbsd tree.

glob.c includes "includes.h" which includes <sys/ioctl.h>.

So how about fixing TILDE in the openbsd tree? I'll try without the
patch on 2.9p2 and report results.

> :3. You should *not* place custom macros in aclocal.m4. They should
> :   be in acinclude.m4 and then you should use aclocal to generate
> :   aclocal.m4 from acinclude.m4.
> :     acinclude.m4

I'm wrong about this. Because you don't use automake, what you're
doing is perfectly OK.

> :Some comments regarding your code in configure.in:
> :  1. Hardcoding the need for -lsocket and -lnsl via
> :     $no_libsocket and $no_libnslis gross. Doing this means you
> :     don't know how to write a proper autoconf test to determine
> :     if these two libraries are needed. The solution is not to
> :     hack in the value with a case statement but to figure out
> :     the proper autoconf way of solving the problem, independent
> :     of the hardcoding the solution for every platform. A solution
> :     proposed below is:
> :       AC_CHECK_FUNC(yp_match, , AC_CHECK_LIB(nsl, yp_match))
> :       AC_CHECK_FUNC(setsockopt, , AC_CHECK_LIB(socket, setsockopt))
> :     We could probably also add:
> :       AC_CHECK_FUNC(gethostent, , AC_CHECK_LIB(nsl, gethostent))
> :  2. Checks such as the following are wrong:
> :       AC_CHECK_LIB(gen, getspnam, LIBS="$LIBS -lgen")
> :     Don't check if the function exists in the library. Check
> :     first if the function exists *without* the library and then
> :     with the library if need be (and, FYI, AC_CHECK_LIB(lib,func)
> :     will automatically add "-l[lib]" to $LIBS):
> :       AC_CHECK_FUNC(getspnam, , AC_CHECK_LIB(gen, getspnam))
>
> good suggestions, can you provide patches for them?

Ok.

--
albert chin (china at thewrittenword.com)