OpenSSH 2.9p2 with PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt

Matthew Melvin matthewm at webcentral.com.au
Wed Jun 27 15:30:02 EST 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 at 3:00pm (+1000), Damien Miller wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Matthew Melvin wrote:
>
> > When using PAM to do password authenticaion the attempt/failure counter
> > appears to be getting confused.  This is using a rh62 system with the
> > openssh-2.9p2-1 rpms...
>
> [snip]
>
> > So for one incorrect password the attempt/failure count goes from...
> >
> > debug1: attempt 3 failures 3
> >
> > ... to...
> >
> > debug1: attempt 5 failures 4
> >
> > Looking at the source it seems authctxt->attempt++ is being incrimented
> > twice, once in auth2.c:input_userauth_request() and again in
> > auth2-pam.c:input_userauth_info_response_pam().
> >
> > Attached is a patch that fixed these symptoms for me.  Attempt/failure are
> > incimented one at a time, the last password prompt is no longer ignored, and
> > the client is only disconnected after 6 (AUTH_FAIL_MAX) failures not after 6
> > attempts.  I am not completly certain this behaviour matches the original
> > intent so YMMV...
>
> I don't think the test is necessary at all, as the checking is done in
> userauth_finish anyway. How does this patch go?

Hmm.. okay I've just rebuilt with this new patch and tried the same tests.
It seems like removing the test all together does have the desired effect.

M.

--
WebCentral Pty Ltd           Australia's #1 Internet Web Hosting Company
Level 1, 96 Lytton Road.           Network Operations - Systems Engineer