Adding 'name' key types

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com
Fri Jun 29 06:57:14 EST 2001

Playing around with the [wonderful] GSS-API patches for OpenSSH [1] I
noticed that there is a bit of functionality missing from
OpenSSH/GSS-API, namely that authorized_keys2 has no meaning when using
GSS authentication.

Yes, ~/.k5login can be used to grant access to an account for
applications that support Kerberos, as does OpenSSH with those GSS
patches, but .k5login does not and cannot provide the
from/command/environment and other useful options that SSH's
authorized_keys2 file entries can.

So, after looking around, especially in key.h and key.c and auth2.c, it
occurred to me that a new key type could be added for dealing with named
keys, that is, names which can be authenticated (e.g., certificate
names, Kerberos principal names).

The neat thing is that auth2.c:user_key_allowed() is key-type
independent (so arguably it doesn't belong in auth2.c), and thus could
be called from ssh_gssapi_userok() [instead of, or in addition to the
GSS mechanism specific *userok() methods].

The only questions, in my mind, are

 - how to format key names for use in authorized_keys2?

   I propose starting the key blob with 'name:' followed by a possibly
   null mechanism name, another ':' and the key name in question
   (uuencoded so whitespace, non-ascii characters and so on can be
   unambiguously present in key names).

 - how to deal with generic names vs. mechanism specific names?

   I.e., should an 'exported' GSS name be checked as a 'gss' key name
   type? Or should it be checked against a name type specific to the
   mechanism used to authenticate the client?

   I think this should probably be optional behaviour.

[1] http://www.sxw.org.uk/computing/patches/

Thoughts? Flames?

Nico
--