AllowHosts / DenyHosts

Dan Kaminsky dankamin at cisco.com
Fri Mar 2 03:04:28 EST 2001

> you miss the point. the example is not about ipsec.

Markus, you miss the point:  IPsec is *misery incarnate* to configure and
the keynote syntax certainly doesn't help that.

> > Certificate "DN:/C=DE/ST=Germany/L=Munich/CN=MARKUS FRIEDL ROOT CERT
KEY"
> >     ApplicationDomain "IPsec policy"
> >     EspAuthenticationAlgorithm hmac-sha
> >     EspRequired yes
>
> this only works because the above example uses &&

Fine.

Certificate "DN:/C=DE/ST=Germany/L=Munich/CN=MARKUS FRIEDL ROOT CERT KEY"
    ApplicationDomain "IPsec policy"
    EspAuthenticationAlgorithm hmac-sha hmac-md5 ripemd-whatever
    EspRequired yes

> > Certificate "DN:/C=DE/ST=Germany/L=Munich/CN=MARKUS FRIEDL ROOT CERT
KEY"
> > Host 129.210.*.*
>
> this won't work with current ssh config.

You're talking about linking a new library in that'll inherit root
permissions by dint of being linked into SSHD--I think we're safely out of
the realm of "what servconf.c can do right now."

My point is that 90% of what we'd want from Keynote we can do without
resorting to an outside library, and as nice as that extra 10% might be, if
it prevents 80% of people
from using 80% of the power of SSH, we've weakened the code considerably.

> if you want to have complex policies that you will depend on keynote.
>
> if you don't need complex policies, then you don't need keynote.

So tell me some complex policies that would be useful, that require keynote.