AllowHosts / DenyHosts

Devon Bleak devon at admin2.gisnetworks.com
Fri Mar 2 08:24:20 EST 2001

my main point is development time.  in the end, it's really left up to the
people who write the code whether they want to implement something that's
already been implemented in a library, or just link to the library.  to me,
keynote seems reasonable.  if you need a security policy as complex as the
one i think you're describing, then there's not going to be a simple way to
describe it.

i'm not saying that keynote should be something that's _required_ to
configure OpenSSH, just that we should have the option of using it.  that
way, the people that grok can, and the people that don't will determine if
it's worth their time and energy to learn.  i definitely think that the
default should be to NOT require keynote support, or if it is, then to
supply a working, simple, open (as in not requiring any modification to let
anybody connect) default configuration, much like the default sshd_config
that's supplied now.

both solutions seem viable to me, the only difference being that keynote is
already in a handy library and would probably require less development time
to implement while giving the greatest flexibility (keeping in mind that i
haven't actually read through servconf.c, so i really don't know for sure
what it would take to implement something like what you're talking about).

devon