Sftp client improvements

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sat Mar 3 17:14:11 EST 2001

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Sergei Dushenkov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to know are there any plans on the sftp client (not server)
> improvents?

I have a fair TODO list on the sftp client and am working though it as
time permits. Patches are always welcome.

> Previously I was using ssh-2.4 packages (non-commercial) and they have
> Fantastic sftp client.
>
> And when I've moved to openssh I found that openssh sftp client
> functionality is more poor then ordinary ftp client have!

It is pretty young, please give us time.

> Here is some of the features I think, developers must concentrate on:
>
> 1.   Include support for wildcards ('get opens*' for example)
> 1.1 If the wirlcards with "get" cannot be done, then at least mget
> should be included (with wildcards support)

I have made a patch for wildcard support for get, put, ch{mod,grp,own}.
It is currently under review.

> 2. TAB competes the filename/s (as it is done in shell)

This is a bit more work, but is planned eventally.

> 3. "ls" should normally do a short list, and if user want a long list, then
> "ls -l" must do that

This would be very easy to do now, and would be a good project for someone
to take on.

> 4. Download status (to control the progress of the transfer)

This too would be a good project for someone to take on.

If anyone wants to take on any of the above tasks, do yell out on the list
so that there is no duplication of effort and you are aware of the current
and pending changes.

-d