OpenSSH/scp ->> F-Secure SSH server Problems

Davis, Ricardo C. RCDavis at intermedia.com
Thu Mar 8 02:57:13 EST 2001

Thanks for your reply, Ben.

If I'm reading your response correctly, 'scp' actually uses SSH1 protocol to
transfer files.  My assumption was that 'scp', by using the 'ssh' client,
would operate based on the settings in the /etc/ssh/ssh_config file.  In
this file the site-wide default settings I have "Protocol 2", that is that
the 'ssh' client would always use SSH2 protocol unless I specify SSH1
protocol at the command line.  I guess I was wrong here.  However, reading
the 'man' pages for 'scp' and 'ssh' would lead to the conclusion that is
possible.  To satisfy my curiosity, I tried using the scp '-o' option to
pass the '-2' option to 'ssh' -- which forces 'ssh' to force SSH2.  The
result:

$ scp -o -2 fci07230.998 ricardo at 205.215.35.38:
command-line: line 0: Bad configuration option: -2
lost connection

I guess this means that scp will not allow the use of '-2' for the transfer,
correct?  Perhaps the 'scp' man page needs to explicitly state the
limitation that it can only use SSH1.  I was unaware that there was a
different implementation of secure copy that allowed the use of SSH2 (that
is, scp2).

-Ricardo