Forcing PTY usage.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Mar 9 22:46:55 EST 2001

I have been studing the OpenSSH code, and am looking to use it in an
envriornment with untrusted local users.  I have some patches to this
effect, which I will post to the list in due course.

In any case, I would like all users who sucessfully authenitcate to
leave their mark in the system logs, in particular utmp and wtmp.  As
these logs mean didily-squat without unique terminal names (and don't
work anyway), I was wondering what would happen if all sesions were
forced to use a pty?  I presume the 'forced' tty would need to be
modified to ignore escape characters, but are there any other fundemenal
problmes with the idea?

Thanks,
Andrew Bartlett
--