OpenSSH/scp ->> F-Secure SSH server Problems

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Tue Mar 13 09:50:52 EST 2001

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> I think the point is that the development of the SSH protocol has
> involved a great deal of reinvention of wheels.  Some people think
> that this is regrettable and wish that the SSH working group paid a
> bit more attention to integration with other IETF protocols rather
> than rampaging ahead inventing new ones.
>

> I personally think that the SFTP protocol is a pretty gratuitous
> addition; a whole lot of complexity, and it really doesn't buy you
> much.

IMO sftp is not very complex and a worthwhile addition to SSH.
Compared to rfc959, sftp is a very clean protocol and a breeze
to implement (the client end at least).

> But then again, I think that reinventing most of what TLS
> does for the SSHv2 transport layer instead of politely asking the
> TLS folks for a record-oriented interface was rather silly, too.

TLS is pretty intimately wed to x.509 and we still have not seen it
specified for other PK systems (except for an expired OpenPGP draft).

-d