OpenSSH/scp ->> F-Secure SSH server Problems

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Mar 14 06:20:46 EST 2001

[ On Monday, March 12, 2001 at 22:24:32 (+0100), Markus Friedl wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: OpenSSH/scp ->> F-Secure SSH server Problems
>
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 10:10:41PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > My guess is this is just an excuse to use the "built-in subsystem"
> > feature bloat in the secsh protocol.
>
> subsystem is not feature bloat, it's like exec-command, but allows
> a level of redirection.

That's totally bogus.

There are a zillion ways on most server-type platforms to do such
indirection without having to integrate it into SSH, not to mention that
almost all of those alternatives would then lead to total independence
of SSH and thus total portability across all generic transport protocols.

I.e. anything add-on client/server application (eg. file transfer) that
is simply remotely executes a server instance though an existing SSH
connection is truly independent of SSH (and any other transport
protocol).

The "built-in subsystem" feature is bad design.  It has no business
being directly in the transport protocol.  It is an ugly wart.

> > In this case (i.e. in the case of wanting to "ftp" over SSH) the issue
> > is with the stupid user interface.  Naive users are looking for some SSH
> > file copying tool that works just like their FTP clients, i.e. where
> > they can see a list of files on the server and click/drag/whatever them
> > to effect the copy.
>
> have you ever tried the vandyke.com sftp-client?

I have no idea what that might even be.  I do not ever use any platforms
that Van Dyke Tech. current software offerings might run on (well not
without duress, and then only as dumb terminals).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>