OpenSSH/scp ->> F-Secure SSH server Problems

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Mar 14 07:14:51 EST 2001

[ On Monday, March 12, 2001 at 18:30:42 (-0500), Thor Simon wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: OpenSSH/scp ->> F-Secure SSH server Problems
>
> Nonetheless, we have two IETF-standardized secure transport layers
> which serve essentially the same purpose.  I find this regrettable,
> particularly from the point of view of a small system which, these
> days, may be forced to carry around the code to do both.

That's not a bad thing....

The idea is that small systems can make the choice for the most
appropriate protocol for their purposes.  At the same time it provides
for the options that allow for such a choice to be made.

In the open-source software world, at least, it is silly to think that
any given platform or protocol must dominate market share.  That is
entirely counter productive in the long term.  We wouldn't even have
Unix if all the world were an IBM mainframe, let alone many of the other
wonderful things we have.

Everything doesn't have to be compatible with everything else.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>