openssh and linux ipv6

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Mar 15 05:59:15 EST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, José M. Fandiño wrote:

> Pekka Savola wrote:
> > I haven't had problems with kernel freezes, linux and openssh.  Using 2.4
>
> As I said it succeeds with a kernel in the 2.2.x series.
> (I'm using a standard 2.2.18 kernel without pachtes, I
> post my kernel configuration)

I can't reproduce a crash on RHL62 + 2.2.17-14 + telnet to ::1 and.
OpenSSH 2.5.1p2.  2.3.0p1 also tested fine.  I didn't use '--without-4in6'
though, but that shouldn't be significant.

Would this work if you downgraded the kernel a bit (e.g. 2.2.16/17), or
tried the latest -acXX patch?

> I suppose that kernels 2.4.x have a major code rewriting
> and different behavior.

Unfortunately, no.  Linux IPv6 code has been in a rather static state for
the last 3 years or so.  USAGI kernels (www.linux-ipv6.org) have actually
developed a bit.

> > kernel, 2.5.1p2, RHL7.  Does 'stracing' sshd telnet/sshd process give
> > hints where this might halt?
>
> nope, at the time that simply the client side contact with the server side
> the linux server stop of respond. It's totally dead.

Still, IMO this looks more like a very specific problem -- I'm rather sure
2.2.x kernels are fine overall.

Where does the strace stop?

--
Pekka Savola                  "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                    not those you stumble over and fall"