SIGHUP/av[0] restart failure (AIX)

douglas.manton at uk.ibm.com douglas.manton at uk.ibm.com
Sat Mar 17 07:07:44 EST 2001

> Mar 13 12:01:48 whippet sshd[31644]: Received SIGHUP; restarting.
> Mar 13 12:01:48 whippet sshd[31644]: RESTART FAILED: av[0]='sshd',
> error: No such file or directory.

My guess is that you started sshd using "sshd" (either from within
/usr/local/sbin or with it in your PATH).

> The sshd program is not named anything unusual, and is located in
> /usr/local/sbin.

Have you tried starting it with "/usr/local/sbin/sshd" ?

Personally, I use the AIX system resource controller to manage sshd.  This
has the advantage of automatically restarting it if it ever falls over.
The following command sets it up:

    mkssys -s sshd -u 0 -p /usr/local/sbin/sshd -G tcpip -R -S -n 15 -f 9

Now sshd can be controlled with:

    startsrc -s sshd
    stopsrc -s sshd

Trying to stop the daemon any other way (e.g. kill -9) means it gets
automatically restarted by SRC.  You kick it off on startup in
/etc/rc.tcpip in the same way as inetd, etc...

Hope this is useful!
  Doug Manton, AT&T EMEA Commercial Security Solutions

                 E:  demanton at att.com
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy"