"cipher none" alternatives ?

Dan Kaminsky dankamin at cisco.com
Sun Mar 18 00:04:19 EST 2001

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Dan Kaminsky wrote:
> >     Incidentally--if anyone out there is skilled at profiling code, I
think
> > the SSH client could use a look.  I think there are absolute limits
embedded
> > in there as to how fast it may run, because it'll never use up as much
CPU
> > as is available to it and will top out at 150-220K/s no matter the speed
of
> > the client or server.
>
> I wonder where you got that 150-220K/s number.  That's completely untrue.
> I've scp'd, using a fast cipher like arcfour (blowfish isn't bad either),
> files over 100baseTx LAN at the speed of over 5 MB/s or so.

Interesting!  Lemme do some experiments...

Yes, Cygwin OpenSSH SCP -> Linux OpenSSH manages 280k/s 3DES, 350K/s
Blowfish.  This is over a wireless card (I use SSH for wireless security),
so I might be bumping into limits on this supposed-11MB/s link.

You've not done Arcfour with OpenSSH; it's not supported.  I'm not sure if I
like that or not.

My numbers came from port encapsulation figures, rather than scp command
encapsulation figures.  What numbers have you seen when moving, say, files
over a forwarded HTTP link?

--Dan