OpenSSH/scp ->> F-Secure SSH server Problems

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Mar 20 04:55:34 EST 2001

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 12:32:59PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Strangely with SSHv1 we all learned (or already knew implicitly) how to
> deal with the problems of command paths and naming (and indeed
> capabilities and syntax) on SSH servers.  This was possible because
> there was a direct association between the system being connected to,
> and its uniqueness.

I tend to disagree.  With ssh1 it's tricky to get "scp" to work if you're
installing ssh/scp in a non-default path, because you have to fiddle with
the default path settings for the ssh daemon on the target system.

Quite often I have dearly wished a configuration file option "hey, sshd,
if the client requests 'scp', it's in /opt/bin/scp".

Subsystems do this.  And I like it.

[..]
> SSHv2's "built-in subsystem" is not just not necessary -- it's
> detrimental to the successful management of user's (and programmer's)
> expectations!

I strongly disagree.  As everything is defined in sshd_config, you have
much more freedom as before.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de