OSSH 2.5.2p2: Why is /usr/local/ put into the include & lib paths under Solaris?

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Wed Mar 28 21:09:44 EST 2001

--On Wednesday, March 28, 2001 8:40 PM +1000 Damien Miller
<djm at mindrot.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Carson Gaspar wrote:
>
>> > Many people and packages (like most of sunfreeware) put stuff in
>> > /usr/local.
>>
>> So?
>
> People used to complain that configure didn't find stuff in /usr/local,
> now they complain that it does. I suppose we can't win.

Yes, you can, but you have to work harder. Instead of putting a blanket
include for /usr/local/include and libs in /usr/local/lib, add logic to
look for outside dependencies in a list of locations including /usr/local.
Just be sure to have --with-foo=/path/to/foo overrides.

I'll go through configure.in and clean it up for you. All external
dependencies will have --with-foo, and will default to checking the
standard system dirs, and then /usr/local, if nothing is specified on the
command line. I just beg you to merge it in so I don't have to maintain
forked source.

I'm _amazed_ that autoconf doesn't have a built-in macro for
--with-foo=/path/to/foo. Easily fixed ;-)

--
Carson