ssh dumps core in nis/nfs environment

Jon Nathan jon at rupture.net
Sat May 5 02:17:41 EST 2001

hello,

this morning, we rebooted our nis master server and sshd died on most
of our client servers.  our setup is this:

nis master
netapp with /usr/local volume shared out.  sshd sits in
/usr/local/sbin on the netapp
many nis/nfs clients, each nfs mount /usr/local from the netapp and run
sshd from there.

we completed a planned reboot of the nis master this morning, and the
parent sshd died, leaving a core file in /.

they're running 2.5.2p2.  i have a couple core files if anyone would
like to look at them.

is there anything i can do to prevent this in the future?  it would be
a pain to install ssh locally on each server.

-jon

--
Jon Nathan
jon at rupture.net