ssh_exchange_identification

Tim Westberry phantom88 at tande.com
Sat May 5 07:42:16 EST 2001

Guys, I think that I have ran into a bug. I am running openbsd 2.8 and I upgraded to the lastest verison of openssh 2.9 but when I did that it started giving me this error "ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host" when I try to log into the machine even when I am on the machine and try to ssh localhost it gives me the same message. I have read every FAQ I could find on the net but all I can find is that you mush put "ssd:all" in the hosts.allow in the etc directory. OpenBSD does not have a hosts.allow or a hosts.deny in the etc directory. I ran ssh -v localhost and this is what I got...

# ssh -v localhost
OpenSSH_2.9, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090581f
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted.
debug1: restore_uid
debug1: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 1
debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug1: temporarily_use_uid: 0/0 (e=0)
debug1: restore_uid
debug1: temporarily_use_uid: 0/0 (e=0)
debug1: restore_uid
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
debug1: PEM_read_PrivateKey failed
debug1: read PEM private key done: type <unknown>
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type 0
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x1727c(0x0)

If you could help me please send me and email at tim at westberry.com I will be glad to set up a chat channel on irc or call you if you can help me fix this problem.

Thanks,
Tim