SSH and forced wtmp entries ...

Petri Kaukasoina kaukasoi at elektroni.ee.tut.fi
Tue May 15 19:09:57 EST 2001

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 01:42:45PM +0200, Randolf Skerka wrote:
> I told you how easy it is for a user to hide himselve from wtmp (ssh -l
> user xterm) he has an interactive shell, is logged by authlog, ok, but it's
> unclear if he is logged in at this moment.

Suppose sshd logged in wtmp. Here the X protocol is not routed via the ssh
connection but goes directly:

xhost + otherhost
ssh otherhost "xterm -display $DISPLAY < /dev/null >& /dev/null &"

After invoking xterm on the background the ssh session finishes and wtmp
shows that the user logged out immediately. But the user still has the
interactive shell.